
I ran a marathon.

26.2 miles. Officially, it took me 4 hours 7 minutes 0 seconds. Though it took me a while to cross the starting line. Watch the video Mel took. I show up at about 53 seconds after the official start and drop my warmups at Mel's feet. Notice the guy in the front that just took off. He finished in 2 hours 22 minutes - nearly 20 minutes ahead of the 2nd place finisher.
26.2 miles. That comes out to:
- 19 miles of really enjoyable running in a gorgeous venue.

- 2 miles of difficult running.
- 2 miles of hobbling/walking/running due to painful leg cramps.
- 3 more miles of difficult running (just ignoring the pain in my legs this time).
- 0.2 miles of an odd mix of euphoria, confusion, anger, disappointment, pain, frustration, and acceptance.
Euphoria because I knew I actually was going to finish a marathon. Who would have thought?
Confusion because, even though it was clearly stated on my watch, my exhausted mind couldn't figure out if I was going to finish in less than 4 hours.
Anger because I finally realized that I was not going to finish in less than 4 hours.
Disappointment because I hate missing a goal that I've spent three months training for.
Pain because at mile 24 I decided that, since the leg cramps weren't going away, I should just try to ignore them and run anyway.
Frustration because seeing the finish line miraculously (and temporarily) cured the pain in my legs so I could actually run. If the pain could go away like that, then it must have been a mental thing and why couldn't I think my way out of the pain before?
Finally, acceptance. I missed my time goal, but I still finished a marathon.
26.2 miles. My boss, Mark, kept reminding me that the first Marathon ever ran killed the poor guy. Thanks, Mark, for the encouraging words.
And would you believe that I spent at least an hour this evening looking for another marathon to run this summer? I'm convinced I could run one in 3:45:00 or faster, if I take my own special Gatorade mix instead of drinking the crappy HEED they provide at the race. Not that Gatorade makes me run faster, but it does ward off the the leg cramps.
Here's an incomplete list of some of the swag that came with the race:
- 3 different kinds of chapstick
- 3 different kinds of sunblock
- 2 coupons for a free bowl of clam chowder (one at the finish line area and one for later)
- 2 coupons for free beer (or energy drink) - guess which one I opted for
- 1 Wintergreen Lifesaver
- 1 package of moleskin
- 20 pamphlets of things to do in Newport
- 1 mini Clif bar
- 1 Kroger brand hand sanitizer bottle
- 1 package of HEED (High Energy Electrolyte Drink). This stuff is so bad that I thought I put too much water in the mix. I discovered during the race that it really does taste like watered down... something.
Here is a list of marathons or other races I'm considering. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the Clackamas River Runoff on July 13 www.roguemultisport.com/eventcalendar/clackamasriverrunoff.html but I want to do another marathon this summer.
- July 4 Foot Traffic Flat Marathon - http://www.foottraffic.us/
- Aug 9 Crater Lake Marathon - http://www.craterlakerimruns.com/
- Sept 13 Timberline Marathon - http://www.roguemultisport.com/timberline262.html
If you happen to have read this far in the post - please vote for your favorite marathon. If I can get at least 10 people cheering for me I'll run whichever one is the most popular.
8 comments:
Jim, you are CRAZY!! None of your other choices sound too great--they are either hills/mountains or the "easy" one is so close to your last marathon. I'll be rooting for you long distance whichever one you choose.
CONGRATULATIONS!!
Hey Jim and Mel-
It's your cousin Rachel--I was digging through old emails and found your blog address. So, I thought I'd see if you still were using it. Congratulations to Jim on running your first marathon! And, I can't believe you want to do it again! Way to go though. Better you than me. :)
Also, I can't believe how big Bridger has gotten. I hadn't seen pictures of him in a long time. He's a cutie. Tell your mom congrats on her recent marriage. Anyway, we have a blog now too.
crachelrobinson.blogspot.com
Also, Brent and Laci's blog is:
schafferfam.blogspot.com
And Carrie and John's is:
johnandcarriestyles.blogspot.com
Maybe we can all keep in better contact this way. Anyway, we hope all is well with you all!
Way to go Jim!! I am very impressed. Jeff says hi, and that you are crazy.
THAT IS AWESOME!! I commend you Jim and you Mel for your patience!! I had no idea Aunt Nancy got married, so it's a good thing I checked your blog! I also like how you torture your child too! The spinning chair video is great. Bridger is sooo cute. Keep in touch!
Carrie
congratulations! that truly is a defeat! and 4 hours 7 minutes is a really good time. well done!
Jim, I am so proud of you!
You are awesome and amazing!
Love Momma Karen
Forget all of those and do the Leavenworth, WA one on October 4. (www.leavenworthmarathon.com) Dennis and I are both running that marathon and we'd LOVE your company! Sure it's outside of the official "summer" season, but here in WA, it'll feel the same. We don't get too much of a real summer anyway.
The next deadline for cheaper registration is July 31. Let me know if you have an interest and we'll talk more.
Congrats on the move...and the baby!
~Jennifer
Jim - Your running fever has spread to Texas. Steve was telling me about your marathon, and he's convinced me to join their team for the Ragnar Relay. It sure is a lot of fun running and training again.
If you haven't decided yet - my vote is for the crater race. It looks like it's the coolest, and also maybe the hardest. So if you're body's up for it, that's my vote!
If you don't have our blog, here it is:
http://theswansonfam.blogspot.com
Glad to see that you, Mel, and Bridger are all doing well!
-Benjamin
Post a Comment