Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Family Triathlon

On Saturday, Bridger and Kacy completed their first Triathlon! The kids and I participated in the 2nd Annual Sherwood Family Triathlon. Adorned in our Superman shirts, we were team "SuperSchaffer" as we completed the 50 yd swim, 2 mile bike, and 1/2 mile run.
During the swim, I am sure I was quite the spectacle. Bridger had these floaty pads on his back and chest, which helped his head stay above the water. I put Kacy on on a big kick board and I was holding on to her while pulling the kick board while Bridger was holding onto me while I was doing a very technical treading water/doggie paddle combo on my back. Despite our obvious lack of Olympic finesse, we had a great time. Bridger was sad that the swimming part was so short, but we perked up again once we were loaded in the bike trailer ready to roll.

Next year I might let Bridger do the bike leg, but I thought that 2 miles would be just a little long for his Big Wheels Tricycle.
When we got to the run, I unhooked my bike, and put the jogging wheel on the stroller. I asked B if he wanted to ride with Kacy (who fell asleep on the bike leg) or run with me. He chose to run, and Bridger ran the whole 1/2 mile! I was so proud of him. We did stop for a couple of water breaks, but every time he saw another runner coming, he would get motivated to keep on going! It was awesome!
Jim was climbing Mt. Adams, so he missed out on the fun, but I am so glad I got to do it with the kids. We even got medals at the finish line!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

good job bridger and kacy and melanie!! :) i can't believe he the whole 1/2 mile! that's awesome!
what a fun adventure! maybe the kids and i will join you next year! sounds so exciting!

Nola said...

That is the greatest thing I have heard of. I am making Tyler do a short triathlon this weekend. He is nervous because his back is messed up right now. I would love to drag our kids along, but I don't think it is allowed. I am glad you had fun with those cuties.

blkris said...

Way to go you guys!

Angela said...

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

Raina said...

I'm impressed!!! I love the pictures, the outfits, and that you accomplished it! Way to go!!!

Jenny said...

You rock Mel! Your kids definitely have a good start to a fit and adventurous life.

Kelsey Ann said...

How cute and absolutly awesome is that. Way to go 'SuperSchaffer'

Jen said...

Mel, you rock! Seriously. I would drown myself and the kids. You are so inspiring. I love that you are so excited about being fit!

A and C said...

that sounds so fun! I want to come down next year and do it with you guys