So, here is goes - My Undone List:
- Clear the kitchen counter tops.
- Clean the kitchen.
- Plan out tomorrow's meals.
- Organize my pots & pans drawer.
- Get rid of unused knives and other kitchen tools
- Find the spare gaskets for the magic bullet.
- Clear off the window sill
- Paint behind the stove
- Paint second coat in living rooms
- Hang pictures in living room
- Clear & organize desk
- Do monthly budget
- Pay tithing
- Organize pantry
- Straighten up guest room
- Prep guest room for guests this weekend
- Organize office files
- Clean garage
- Organize garage
- Clean out gutters
- Pull out weeds in yard
- Cut back grass
- Rake up moss
- Wash outside windows
- Touch up paint on front door
- Water lawn
- Choose paint colors for living room
- Paint living room
- Price out carpet cleaners
- Vacuum carpet
- Sweep & mop floors
- Catch up on laundry
- Buy a rod for Bridger's closet
- Read Potty Training book
- Potty Train Bridger
- Teach B to recognize the alphabet & shapes & colors
- Take out clothes that don't fit the kids anymore
- Hang up new size of clothes for Kacy
- Teach Kacy baby sign language
- Clean & organize play room
- Prepare playroom for guests
- Clean Kids bathroom
- Pick up our room
- Hang pictures in Master bedroom
- Fix caulking in Master bathroom
- Read scriptures
- Read my book of the week
- Write in my journal
- Catch up on our blog
- Catch up on our friend's blog
- Do visiting teaching
- Write my talk for next week
- Go workout
- Lose 20 pounds
- Renew CPR & First Aid certification
- Renew my ACE Personal Training certification
- Create a new workout plan
- Call friend that just had a baby to see if I can help
- Catch up with friends I have not seen in a while
- Plan our next party/get-together
- Copy CD's of family pictures and send them to family
- Write thank you notes
- Print up pictures
- Send pictures to family across the country
- Find a sitter for date night
- Plan a fun date night
- Have uh-hum... alone time with my hubby
- Price out airfare for Christmas
- Call my cousins that we haven't seen in a while & invite them over
- Practice the Piano
- Dust off the guitar
- Enroll Bridger in Swim lessons or tumbling
- Plan our next Family Home Evening
I better stop there, because I could go on if I tried. Oh yeah, this is in addition to doing all the normal day-to-day stuff that goes with raising kids: changing diapers, making meals, feeding those meals to kids, cleaning kids, clothing kids, doing whatever Jim needs me to do, keeping my family happy & healthy, etc.
There is a part of me that knows there is no way to get everything done I want to get done on any given day. However, that never stops my brain from going 100 miles an hour at night and the feeling of disappointment that ensues knowing that I wasn't able to do everything. I usually try not to let the undone list get the best of me, but yesterday was a day where I think it won.
Am I alone in this? Do I have a problem? Is this a woman's thing?
This has been a good thing for me to write it all down in one place. I realize that I can't do everything everyday. However, I don't think that stops me from thinking about the things I want to get done if I could and me feeling like these things still need to get done.
Sigh... Sorry for the boring post. I would love to hear if anyone out there feels overwhelmed from their "undone list" at times too? What helps? Thanks for humoring me!
14 comments:
I hear ya girlfriend! My brain thinks a lot faster than my ability to accomplish tasks my brain thinks up. I have a list called: Unload my Brain. Seriously. I write everything down my Brain thinks I should do...and then I try to do ONE at a time without killing myself with guilt or exhaustion! LOL! Enjoy today and pat yourself on the back for getting SOMETHING done!
I don't think you have a problem and you are DEFINITELY not alone in this. While I do not have as much on my plate as you do, my undone list stretches on too. With school starting in 2 weeks, the list seems to get more overwhelming.
I try to do as much as possible, but there is NOT enough time in a day! For me, I tackle it when I can. I just try not to let it get to me and talk myself out of it when it tries to. Mostly I tell myself that as long as I'm alive and living, that undone list gets longer and longer. It probably sounds pessimistic, but it just helps me realize that I'm only human.
Besides, a list helps you organize and prioritize. At least you're thinking about it! Don't let disappointment get you down! Let it get you up and get you motivated. :)
Oh - and I don't think that it's a woman thing.
"You do what you can, with what you have, when you can and you'll survive."
But last but not least,
YOU CAN DO IT. <3
I think you need to eat more icecream. I sleep so much better with a little bit of cookies and cream in me. :)
oh my gosh Melanie, you are NOT alone! I think every mom(or stay at home dad) goes through this! Heck- you should see my list. I know I can't get through it! It's impossible. I think what helps me, is KNOWING I CAN'T! There are so many hours in one day and so many mins in an hour and seconds in a min....and so on. Things happen- its called LIFE! Just know that you are not alone! =)
I SO have the same problem!! And although I'm not usually someone who cries a lot, when I'm exhausted and disappointed in myself, my undone list often ends in tears. A little snuggling helps me, verbalizing my undone list so that I can get it out, prioritizing, sleeping so that I can get back to being rational, and sometimes just a little cry - especially because this makes me feel ridiculous and then I can laugh at myself instead of beating myself up. What helps you?
I totally understand! I tell Tyler that I often have good intentions, but don't act on them. He can't understand that. I have a huge list of things I should/want to do. I think that I will do them when I don't work full-time, but I don't know if that is true.
To help my situation, I often have to get out of the house or the daily routine and just enjoy my family or an adventure. Nothing major, just something to put life back into prospective.
I think you are amazing Mel! Enjoy those little kiddos.
You want to do all that in one day?
And you have 2 kids. Right?
Girl, I'm doing good to do 5 things on my to do list, and play with my 2 kids.
I use to feel like that too. And I have realized that the memories that I'm making with my kids will be way more fulfilling in the long run!
I have a huge list of things I should do but haven't yet. My problem is I don't ever want to do any of it!
Really though, you just sound super stressed! If you want to ever bring your kids over and have a date night or just do something without kids, just give me a call!
This is so funny, and yet so true!!! This MUST be my problem with sleeping too. Good luck getting some rest. :D
You all are so YOUNG! Don't you hate it when an old lady says to you, "Enjoy these days. They go by way too quickly!" Here's another old lady though, saying the same old thing. Someday you'll say it too.
Love you Mel!
PS--I think you ought to delegate at least a third of that list to the Running Man, and tell him his mother said to do it!
Mel--
That is such a woman thing. Just realize that the most important is having a happy, healthy family--and you do!!
The "To Do" list will never be done. I've just learned to accept it. My computer desk will always be cluttered--even though it drives Michael crazy. Some days, if I get the dishes done, the laundry done, and the people and animals fed, it's a winner!! When you look at all that you accomplished in a day--and that includes the day-to-day stuff--it's enough.
When you feel overwhelmed by the undone stuff, just look at your happy family and realize that you did the most important things.
I love you guys, and I am overwhelmed by all that the four of you accomplish!!
Love,
Aunt Peggy
I agree with Nancy--Share the wealth and the to do's, too! Make Jim a list--I bet he's be happy to help if he just knows what you want him to do.
Your beautiful smile is the first thing your children see each morning, and THAT is a much grander thing for your family to experience, than getting your list done. Something that helped me, when I was in your shoes, was to, drumroll, please...LOWER MY EXPECTATIONS! It may sounds like a giamt cop out, but, seriously, this is when I began to relax, and love myself with tender forgiveness and understanding that I couldn't ever ever get 'it' all done, and to start enjoying my family more!
Bravo for putting it down on paper--leave it there, and add to it as needed. As another wise woman once told me, there are some top 10 reasons why we love lists! (Look in the mirror!)
Love you SO much! Momma
PS. DO please prioritize your tickets for Christmas!!!!
Oh, how you make me feel so much better about myself! I felt like you took the undone list from my own brain! So glad I'm not the only one that feels this way!
Ewww! Alone time???
BLECH!
Post a Comment