Friday, October 01, 2010

GOALS

Happy October!

For me, when it comes to setting goals when it rains, it pours and not in a positive way. It started simply enough - I just wanted to make a goal to update our blog everyday for a month with all the fun and adventures we have been having over the summer. I am not a scrap-booker, and a bi-annual journal writer at best, so this blog it the most consistent expression of my growing family we consistently have on record. However, this has caused my mind to go into goal overload as my mind sheds light on this and other imperfections in my life. Other goals relating to health, fitness, cooking, church callings, spirituality, budgeting, yard-work, painting, cleaning, music, canning and other areas of my home that need attention started to push themselves to the forefront of my mind. It didn't take too long before I was overwhelmed before I even started.

So, in order to calm the little devil on my shoulder I have decided to stop myself before I start going over board. I have decided to allow myself to set only 2 goals this month. The first is posting something every day, as previously stated. The second goal relates to bringing more music into our household. Our "music moment" every day will either include me practicing the piano or guitar (which have both been collecting cobwebs lately) or singing with the kids/teaching them a new songs. I am not the best nor most knowledgeable when it comes to music, but I have really seen how much my kids love and respond to music so it has made me want to create an atmosphere where music is a part of our every day life (not just listening to the radio). So, any ideas you have on how to do this would be appreciated! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Nola said...

Mel, I am glad you set a goal to limit your goals! I had to do that too and it brings so much more peace and hope to succeed!
I love the idea of daily music time!

Alison said...

Good for you!
We've found that starting our daily family scripture study with songs and an opening prayer gives a smoother transition for our kids. And it's just fun to watch Andi and Zach take turns being the music leader (choosing songs, telling us how to sing it, doing the actions).
I've also found success practicing my piano everyday by figuring out where it fits best in the routine. For me, right after lunch my youngest takes a nap and the older two are happy to play for a bit. That is my time to play the piano for a bit. Good luck!

Also, thought you'd like to know that you've inspired us to host our own pumpkin potluck this year...