I have to admit, I am not always cool. (Surprise). When there are new gadgets, apps, websites, social networks that pop up I always feel a little hesitant to get on the bandwagon and grasp the latest "thing". I don't always like learning new tricks when it comes to technology.
However, my husband is quite the opposite. He loves checking out new things, being informed of advancements in innovation and being first to get in on the latest and greatest. (He told me that is the very definition of cool). Such was the case when the whole "blog" world appeared circa 2004 while we were newlyweds. He tried to convince me at the time that we should have a blog: that we should record our thoughts, ideas, tips, tricks and cool things we are doing in our lives as a public record for all to view and admire.
I admit I was resistant. As newlyweds I thought "who wants to hear about our duel-income-no-kids life?". A few years passed and we had a baby. Still, I was resistant to blog about our new baby because who wants to hear about my "up-all-night-and-home-with-a-baby-life?" I was pretty good at sending pictures to interested grandparents and writing the customary annual Christmas letter. That covered us for keeping in touch, right?
Fast forward a few more years (which seem to have flown by) and we have a wonderful full, busy family life with these three little darlings that have rocked our world. The record-keeping activity on the blog ebb and flows, depending on how high a priority I give to sitting down and recording something and remembering to post a picture to show what we are up to. At times I do still have my doubts of "What is the point of this blog after all?"
The other night I pulled up our blog and showed it to the kids. I pulled up their different baby pictures to see if they could recognize themselves. We watched old videos and laughed and smiled as I listened to my kids say "I was a cute baby!". They were entertained seeing themselves, seeing grandparents, friends, family, holidays, vacations and other visually entertaining and significant points chronicled by our little Schafferblog.
Epiphany: I finally got it: This blog is just for us - and that is enough. Sure, friends and family will check in and make sure we are alive and well - and that is great! I do the same to my friends and family (and I love it). This is not a blog to change the world, create a new diet, help someone start a new business, or help someone travel the world. This is our best and longest running record of what our life is like while our kids are young! I am so grateful for my husband starting this website so many years ago! I do not scrapbook, and haven't even printed my trusty 4x6 pictures for our photocase for a few years. This blog is currently the best way to look back, remember and reminisce. I love that my kids saw the value in our family blog, even though they didn't know that it what they were communicated to me as they asked to see more, more, more!
Motivation: Just keep swimming...or blogging, rather. I want to keep having something for my kids look at and look back at. I want to be able to remember what they looked like, acted like, what we were up to when...etc. I am so glad I have this little reminder and record. I also have the motivation to print up something tangible for my kids to look at and hold in their hands now, and not wait until they are grown and out of the house before I finally get around to doing it. I have been wanting to try printing one of those new photobooks they have nowadays. (Remember, I have trouble trying new things). The difference now is I have motivation to try, to give my kids a tangible reminder of the images and memories of our everyday, extraordinary life.
No comments:
Post a Comment