Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Primary


 
I love Primary. I love serving in the Primary. I have loved the last few years I have been able to serve as Primary President in our Ward. There are 100 kids in our Primary, plus another 25 in Nursery and about 35 leader to help run it all. Last Sunday I was released from this calling and a whole new presidency was called. I feel bittersweet about this change, but know it time and our Primary is in great hands. 
 
 I want to take a moment to reflect on some of what I have learned from this Primary leadership experience. The first and biggest  thing I saw over and over was that children can and will learn, no matter how young they are. They can feel truth and learn gospel principles. This has had a huge impact in my life as a mother. My eyes have been open to how young children can be open to learning and how much they obsorb, mimic, learn by my actions, words, and patterns.

I have had the feeling repeatedly that time is precious and too short to teach my kids all they need to know while they are young - that I shouldn't (and can't) wait! Instead of trying to teach ABC's or 123's at home(they will get that at school!) we have been learning Articles of Faith and Scripture stories at our house.

Another thing I learned over and over is that I can't do everything by myself. I had to learn to delegate, ask for help, and realize that people really do want to help (and usually love to if given the opportunity)! We had many wonderful helpers and leaders and I am so grateful for all they did for these children.

I am so grateful for the Church of Jesus Christ and the opportunity it has given me to teach plain and precious teachings of our Savior to young children. I think I may have learned more than they did along the way.

I am so grateful for the Primary Program and for the opportunities it gives children as they grow. I will miss this position, but look forward to whatever may be next...

No comments: